Wednesday, February 6, 2008

An Introduction

Well...here goes...my first post! And this one is dedicated to none other than.....My Blog!!

Let me begin by explaining, to those who are eventually going to read this, the logic behind the title of my blog and my blog address. In my college, as an undergraduate, we are supposed to complete 12 credits worth of Humanities courses in order to be awarded an engineering degree. Alas, we don't get to choose a course of our choice, but are alloted one on the basis of a 'priority number'. And so after getting a priority number of 460+ ( The highest that can be possibly achieved is 500 ), I ended up getting a course entitled “Humanities in a Technological Age” ( shady huh? ). The only thing that I still remember about this course is a poem -'Skyscraper' by Carl Sandburg. A particular line in that poem still lingers at the tip of my tongue...

“Men who sunk the pilings and mixed the mortar are laid in graves, where the wind whistles a wild song without words”

The title of my blog is a dedication to the beauty of these lines.

As for the blog address, I had wanted it to be “roll 'n' rock.blogspot.com“ But since space as a character is not allowed in the blog address and so aren't _ , ' , “ , &,~,......I had to be contented with “roll-et-rock”. By the way, ( for those of you who don't know French ) 'et' is the French counterpart of 'and'. And neither am I a big fan of Elvis Presley ( rock 'n' roll anyone? ). What the blog address actually 'stands for' is -

ROLL UP THE DOPE
AND ROCK ON!!

P.S – This Post is also dedicated to all the Smokers and Dopers by A-viral the man! ( à la Zeest!! )
P.P.S – Nor am I a big fan of dope!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

bon travail!..

an afterthot, whistling doesnt hav any words in the first place so the qualification in the title isnt quite necessary..no?

Sumedh V. Vidwans said...

I hope you keep writing your blog frequently, its a good habit.. which sadly, I am not used to...

Sandy said...

Welcome aboard mate!
Let's see what literary fantasies you'll spin with your magic, indeed, the future is very interesting..

and thus it all began. . .

Aviral said...

CLARIFICATION -
It is the song that doesn't have any words and not the whistling.

Unknown said...

ah...that is precisely what i thot as a second afterthot.. was too lazy to write it down..


A song without words- saves you from hunting for its lyrics and translating it for international distribution..